The City of Charlottetown has launched a rebate program that helps Charlottetown residents protect their homes against damage in the event of flooding. The rebate program was developed by the City of Charlottetown to address the impact on housing infrastructure and to help alleviate the financial implications of severe weather events, such as heavy rainfall. This program was funded by a donation from Intact Public Entities and Intact Financial Corporation through their Municipal Climate Resiliency Grant program.
To be eligible for the program, applicants must be the registered owner of a residence within the City of Charlottetown. Seventy-five per cent (75%) of the cost of approved flood protection devices and the associated labour to install them are eligible for the rebate, for up to a total amount of $1,000. Rebates will be limited to one application per property.
Eligible flood protection devices include:
– Sump Pumps
– Back up battery systems for sump pumps
– Water alarm/detection devices
– Backwater Valves
Any work undertaken to install eligible flood protection devices must be completed by a licensed contractor on or after November 25, 2022. Rebate applications will be reviewed and approved on a first-come, first-served basis up to April 30, 2023, or until the program’s funding is exhausted.
The Flood Protection Rebate Program is available to existing residences that are legally occupied and does not apply to businesses or homes in the planning or construction phase of work.
For more information and to learn how to apply visit: charlottetown.ca/flood_rebate
Introduced in 2013, the Showerhead Exchange Program provides Charlottetown Water & Sewer Utility customers an opportunity to exchange up to two high-flow showerheads for ones that have a lower flow rate. The Program is available while supplies last.
Follow these steps to receive your low-flow showerhead:
- Ensure you are eligible to participate in the program by reading the Frequently Asked Questions below
- Check the flow on your existing showerhead. On newer models, it will be etched in the face or on the side of the showerhead in gpm (gallons per minute) or lpm (litres per minute). If it is not listed, test your showerhead to determine its water usage. In either case, if your showerhead uses more than 2.5gpm (9.5 lpm), then you are eligible to participate in the Showerhead Exchange Program. Please be prepared to supply the Utility with the flow-rate you’ve recorded.
- Remove your existing showerhead.
- Bring your showerhead into the Water & Sewer Utility Department at City Hall, 199 Queen St. and fill out a form to confirm you are a Water & Sewer Utility customer and provide your Water & Sewer account number. You will be provided with either a standard showerhead or a showerhead in exchange for your old showerhead while supplies last.
- Install your new showerhead.
How to check the flow-rate on your showerhead:
- Place a bucket under the showerhead or tap.
- Turn on both the taps to full flow.
- Run the water for 10 seconds before turning off, capturing all of the water in the bucket.
- Measure the amount of water captured.
- Multiply this amount by six to calculate the flow rate per minute.
- If you measure more than 2.5gallons or 9.5 litres, you are eligible for the Showerhead Exchange Program
Frequently Asked Questions
Who is eligible to exchange their existing showerhead for a low-flow showerhead?
- Any Charlottetown Water & Sewer Utility customer with a Water & Sewer Utility account in good standing.
- A valid Charlottetown Water & Sewer account number is required.
- Any tenant must request their landlord to apply on their behalf.
- The showerhead you are exchanging must have a flow-rate of more than 2.5 gallons/9.5 litres per minute.
Are there limits on the number of showerheads that I can exchange?
- Any Water & Sewer Utility customer can exchange up to 2 showerheads.
- There are a limited number of showerheads. They are available on a first-come, first-served basis while supplies last.
What kind of showerhead will I receive?
- We are offering two low-flow showerheads options – a standard low-flow showerhead, and a handheld low-flow showerhead.
- Supply is limited and showerheads are available while quantities last.
Does the showerhead exchange include hoses and other hardware?
- No, the exchange only includes the showerhead itself.
- If you need to replace hoses or hardware you will be responsible for these extra costs and for the installation.
What if I change my mind and want my old showerhead back?
- Charlottetown Water & Sewer Utility will keep exchanged showerheads for up to 1 week.
- If you decide you would like to change back to your old showerhead, please return the new showerhead, undamaged, within one week of your exchange date and we will return your old showerhead to you.
Do I need a licensed plumber to install the showerhead?
- We recommend hiring a licensed plumber to install the showerhead for you if you are not comfortable installing it by yourself or if you run into any complications when removing or installing your showerhead.
- The City of Charlottetown – Water & Sewer Utility is not responsible for any damages incurred during the removal or installation of the showerheads.
The City of Charlottetown offers universal toilet flappers and low-flow aerators to its customers for $1 each. These are available at the Utility desk located in City hall, 199 Queen Street.
Prince Edward Island is dependent on groundwater for its water source. It is important that we use water carefully and make an effort to cut our water waste.
Metered customers pay for the water used – less water waste, less cost.
Everyone benefits from reducing water waste, regardless of income.
The Low Income Financial and Technical (LIFT) Assistance program provides a free comprehensive water audit to low-income Islanders.
Frequently Asked Questions
Am I eligible for the Low Income Financial and Technical (LIFT) Assistance Program?
To be eligible, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- You must be a resident of PEI with a total household income of $50,000 or less;
- You must own and live in the residence or have an account with the Charlottetown Water & Sewer Utility in your name if you rent; and said account is in good standing.
What does the program provide?
A qualified tradesperson completes a water audit (such as checking for leaks, checking for low-flow fixtures) free of charge at your resident along with the following:
- installation of a low-flow showerhead,
- installation of a low-flow aerator on bathroom sinks,
- a voucher for low-flow toilet and installation, if applicable.
How do I qualify for a toilet rebate?
The water audit will determine if you qualify for a rebate for you to purchase a low-flow toilet and have it installed. It includes:
- a rebate for 50% of the cost (including taxes) of an approved toilet up to $250 – approved toilet must be WaterSense® certified and have a MaP rating of 1000g listed with www.map-testing.com,
- a rebate for up to $100 for toilet installation by a licensed plumber with proof of disposal of an older toilet,
- a rebate of $50 under efficiencyPEI.
Am I able to access other programs?
Yes, the Low Income Financial and Technical (LIFT) Assistance Program is being done simultaneously with efficiencyPEI’s Winter Warming Program.
A qualified tradesperson completes a comprehensive air-sealing (such as caulking, weather-stripping, sealing gaskets) free of charge at your resident along with the following:
- installation of a programmable thermostat,
- low-flow showerhead,
- a voucher for a free furnace cleaning (up to $80 value),
- a quantity of ENERGY STAR® LED light bulbs.
Learn more about the Winter Warming program.
Do I need to make a separate application?
No, one application will apply for both programs.
What if I have already accessed the Home Energy Low Income (HELP) or Winter Warming program?
You are still eligible to apply for the LIFT Program.
If you have not accessed the HELP or Winter Warming program within the last five years, you may be eligible to reapply.
How do I apply?
- Confirm your eligibility according to the terms and conditions as outlined on the application form.
- Fill out the application form completely. Incomplete information will delay or disqualify your application.
- Mail or drop off the application with original copies of your proof of income* to efficiencyPEI or any Access PEI location.
*Proof of income must be your most recent original July GST Credit Notice showing your net family income, marital status, and province of residence.
To apply for the rebate download and fill out the application form.